Monday, January 21, 2013

Introducing Tatum!

We had c-section #5, and we had to be at the hospital at 5:30am to be ready for the surgery at 7:30am. I have to admit, I was really nervous for this delivery. Since 20 weeks this pregnancy has been nothing but scary. The reason I was so scared was because I had an anterior placenta, and it was low-lying. This meant that I was prepped a little differently this time than in the past. First off, they had blood ready in case I needed a  blood transfusion, and also had another IV added with a larger needle that the blood could be transferred to me with. They had to do the IV a couple times, just because they needed good flow just in case this happened. I was very anxious and the anesthesiologist could tell, so he gave me anxiety drugs to help. That they did, but also made things a little foggy. The anesthesiologist was great, he even asked me what kind of music  I wanted playing. I told him Michael Jackson, he told me he didn't have that on his Ipod, so I was out of luck. On a side note, he also told me that my 14 yo looked just liked me, and asked if I wore those flower pants too. I told him I couldn't pull that off. He also had 5 kids, he was just a really nice man. I liked him a lot, especially because I didn't vomit once, he gave me tons of medicine to prevent this. I am so grateful! Once they pulled Tatum out, they told me that I did not need a hysterectomy, but that the placenta was right there on the scar. I was so relieved, but still just wanted to get out of that OR. My wonderful friend and neighbor Kristen, who is a nurse at the hospital stayed in the OR with me and that made me feel so good, she even picked the nurses that were in the surgery. It is nice to know someone was there watching over me to make sure everything was done right. I told her to make sure my tubes were tied, and she did. Not that I don't want anymore children, but I CAN'T go through that again, especially since my doctor told me that my uterus was paper thin. He told me that is was a good thing I did not go into labor. The not knowing until the baby was born just ate at me the whole time. I am so grateful I have a good doctor, who I love and obviously that God was watching over me. Thanks for all the prayers, I appreciate them so much! Before the surgery even Dexter join in a prayer with my family. He is not spiritual, so this meant a lot to me that he would do that for me.
I am 38 weeks pregnant in this picture. I can't imagine how big I would be if I had gone 40 weeks. I always retain at least 20 pounds in water, so being huge while pregnant is no surprise to me. I am just happy to be peeing it out now, and most importantly loving my little baby boy!
Before the surgery I wanted to see the kids, I wasn't sure how the surgery was going to go so my mom brought them up to see me. The kids were troopers and so EXCITED to meet their baby. Braxton was scared of me, the littlest one always is when I deliver a baby. Seeing mom in that bed with the needle and all must be scary.

I LOVE this picture. You can see the love that Dexter has in his eyes. He is such a good dad! So happy I snagged him! Tatum Dallon: 7lbs 15 oz 20.5 inches.

Me and my sweet baby boy. I was scared to hold him at first. I developed carpal tunnel this pregnancy and my hands were totally numb to the wrists. They wanted to let me hold Tatum when I was taken from the OR, but I told Dexter to. I didn't want to drop him. Now I feel sad I didn't get to do that. I remember doing it with Braxton and feel robbed of the experience now. We are still well bonded, just makes me a little sad to think back on it.

After the delivery, we only wanted the kids to come in. We wanted to bond as a family and let me say, it felt so nice to have that time together. Now we are a family of 7!


Daddy and his boy! We are happy that Tatum is here, especially for Braxton. Now he will have a BFF!

Sam and baby brother. 14 year gap...I hope they will still be close, even though Sam will be off to college in 5 years. Hopefully she will still live at home.

The 5 that have my heart! The love you have as a mother cannot be explained. I love it more than anything.

Brooklyn loves Tatum, she constantly wants to hold (hog) him. I think she is very maternal. I think she will have a lot of babies herself. She is very patient and kind to him. Brooklyn is just about the age Sam was when she was born. It is interesting to see how different they are. Sam loves kids too, but I think she will have a smaller family, she seems to like quiet more than the rest of us.

My boys! Braxton adores Tatum. He is adjusting really well. He is still going in the potty, no reverting backward or anything like that. Maybe a bit more needy, but that is to be expected. He wants to hold him all the time too. He loves to give him big, wet kisses right on the mouth. I told him to kiss his head, but then I found him licking his cheek the other day. At least he is not mean to him. Brooklyn was so mean to Hadley when she was born and I was worried that may be the case, but he is too sweet for that. Braxton already wants Tatum to share a room with him.

My mama! She came for almost 2 weeks to help me. I must say I NEEDED her here. My recovery this time was killer, the doctor told me getting the tubes tied would cause more pain, but I think my age has more to do with it. My mom is great, she cleaned my house, did my laundry, made school lunches, took the kids to school, dance and brought them to and from the hospital for 4 days. She is awesome! Thank you mom.

The guys of the house. The first part of my life I will get to go to dance recitals and the second will be filled with sporting events. I can't wait to experience it all.

Hadley and Tatum. We all agree Tatum looks more like a Morris. He has more of my families appearance than Dexter's. We think Tatum looks most similar to Hadley, minus the eyes. Hadley always sees me doing something and asks me if she can try that. She wants to "try" burping him, and giving him a binky. I think it is just adorable how she asks if she can "try it."

My dad and Tatum. My dad spent several days with me at the hospital while Dexter did things for work. I always get a little blue in the hospital so my mom and dad were great about not leaving me there alone. I think it is funny that Tatum looks like my dad because I actually wanted to give him the middle name "Morris", but Dexter did not think that sounded like a middle name, so we went with something different. Thank you Dad for keeping an eye on me.

Finally, on our way home! It was nice to be home, but quit the adjustment. It was nice to have some time to bond with just Tatum, Dexter and I in the hospital. The kids always want to hold him and sometimes it feels like they are smothering him and me.

This is how I found my family the other night. Babies and breast feeding is something we are all doing a lot of right now. It is funny, I find the girls' babies in blue clothes now, not pink. They are all named Tatum too. Braxton thinks he has a uterus too. I love them to pieces! Thank you to everyone for your kindness, gifts and food. I am shocked by the love that I have been shown with this baby. Danielle thank you for always watching out for me and helping me with my kids, you are the greatest sister in the world. I have lots of pics of everyone and Tatum, but only posted a few. Hopefully I can post more soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's a Cinderella Story isn't it?
So happy you are all well!

Sadie Lady said...

Congrats! I am so glad that it went so grand for you. What an adorable family. Wishing you all the best!!